Sunday, July 18, 2010

Vocabulario

LUNFARDO-- What first strained my ears when I arrived; the Buenos Aires slang. It seems to have created a different word for every one I thought I knew-- especially when it comes to insults. It's playful, creative and often quite biting. Early 20th century immigrants are credited with its start; the majority of young Argentines now merrily carry on the tradition to the despair of confused foreigners.

TENER FIACA-- To feel lazy. Though Porteños seem to constantly be on the move-- after that mate is passed around, there is a party to attend-- I hear this complaint often. Its roots are, you guessed it, Italian.

PETITERO-- Snobby young male, often spotted prancing around the Northern part of the city, as the elegant avenues are more suited to his tastes than the more proletarian Southern areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment